1 -2 eggplants (really fat ones if you can get them)
100 g tomato paste
100 g grated parmesan cheese
a bunch of fresh basil leaves
a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- cut eggplant lengthwise in thin slices (3-5 mm, yes you can)
- grill in the oven on a reck until they are soft (no baking sheet at this point will speed up the process), at about 200 degrees Celsius
- remove from the rack to cool a bit, cover rack with a baking sheet
- spread a thin layer of tomato paste on each slice, stick a basil leave on top and put the slices next to each other on the rack, add pepper
- cover everything with grated cheese
- bake for 10 mins at about 200 degrees Celsius or until the cheese is golden
Serve with ciabatta or any kind of (toasted) bread you like. This also goes well with tomato butter.
Also, as always, feel free to add as much garlic as you like. Timing-wise, I suggest drizzling the tomato pasted-ed eggplant with garlic oil before adding the cheese.
If you want to keep it vegan use toasted nuts or breadcrumbs instead of the cheese.